Newborn Portrait Session tips
HOW TO PREPARE & WHAT TO EXPECT
Congratulations on the arrival of your newest family member! Whether this is your first baby or not, the birth of your newest family member is one of the most exciting and memorable days in you life. For that very reason, I want to help you preserve this very small window of time so that you can look back upon the birth of your baby with vivid recollection. Newborn photography captures those tiny fingers and toes, precious face and wispy tufts of hair that you will treasure for a lifetime.
My goal is to create timeless, beautiful images that are about your baby! My natural light photography studio was created with newborns in mind! I use more natural tones and props in my photography to create artwork that will be classic. The natural beauty of your newborn baby will shine through in the final artwork.
PREPPING THE BABY
• It is recommended to nurse or feed your baby right before your session, so that your baby will be sleepy and relaxed. I have a private room for you to feed your baby when needed at the studio.
• About 30 minutes before the session, please loosen up your baby’s diaper. This allows the little imprint marks time to disappear. Your baby will be naked in some of the shots if desired, so we want the red marks to go away.
• If baby’s skin is a little dry or flaky, try applying a small bit of baby lotion to those spots the day before our session. But don’t worry if it doesn’t go away completely.
• Once you arrive and settle into the studio space, we will undress the baby. Your newborn will have on a loose diaper and a cloth covering them until their photos begin.
TIPS FOR PARENTS
Here are some helpful tips to make sure our time together goes smoothly. Please know that I am always here to answer any questions you may have!
• Patience is key! Newborn photography sessions move slowly as the baby’s needs leads our time together. A newborn session typically lasts between 2–3 hours. The session will begin with family and/or sibling photographs if requested. Breaks for the feeding and cuddling the baby are taken as needed. Then, the focus of the session time will be on posing and photographing your newborn.
• Bring a snack in case you get hungry during the session. As newborn sessions may last longer, you may feel a need for a bite. There are a few restaurants within walking distance from the studio as well.
• Dress in layers and/or bring a second outfit. The studio will be set quite warm for newborn sessions. As the baby is acclimated to a very warm womb, the studio temperature will be set for their comfort. We may be sweating, but your baby will be nice and warm.
• Poop Happens! Newborn baby skin is beautiful, so your baby will be photographed in little to no clothing to focus on that natural beauty. No need to be embarrassed or upset if your baby uses studio backdrops and blankets as their diaper. It is to be expected! All studio wraps and blankets are washed between each session. If you plan to be photographed with your baby, it is a good idea to bring a second set of clothing in case an accident happens.
CLOTHING SUGGESTIONS: For parents and siblings, I suggest light, neutral colors that coordinate but not match. With your sweet little baby being the focus of the session, light, neutral colors tend to work best. Casual clothing is fine, steering away from t-shirts with logos or bold patterns and colors. For mothers, consider bringing a beautiful maxi dress or a pretty cotton gown that will be both comfortable and oh-so-sweet while you are cuddling with your new baby. If you want classic black and white imagery added, a black top will work well. I will photograph your newborn with little to no clothing or swaddled in a cloth. Newborns are so small it is often very difficult to photograph them in cute outfits as they are usually swimming in them. Hang on to those cute little outfits for sessions when they are a bit older! I have many options for headbands, hats, wraps and specialty newborn clothing created for photography for you to choose from.
COMMUNICATION & SAFETY: Your baby’s safety comes first! If there is ever a point where you become uncomfortable, please let me know! I take every measure to ensure that your baby is safe and comfortable. For that reason, I will always make sure that a parent is nearby to lend support if needed.
RELAX! I have everything that you need at the studio, so you can relax. From a changing table with plenty of wipes and extra diapers to a small play area for siblings, the studio was created with you in mind! There is a comfy loveseat with reading materials, bottled water, and wifi for your comfort while your baby is being photographed. Go sit on the couch, put your feet up, take a nap, answer some emails, whatever you want to do to take a little break! If the baby gets fussy or alert, don’t worry. A baby can sense your anxiety and we want to keep the environment as mellow as possible. I will try and get the baby comfortable again, but if that just doesn’t seem possible, we’ll take a break. Sometimes the best pictures are ones when baby isn’t necessarily doing what we want.
I am looking forward to meeting your baby!
Life is Beautiful... Capture It!